Currently MVRDV is looking for a director for our Shanghai office, in China. The office is a satellite office, where, in close collaboration with the Asia Studio in Rotterdam, we service mainly the Chinese but also the Taiwanese, Korean and South East Asian markets.
The Director of MVRDV Shanghai will report directly to the Partner responsible for the Asian market, Wenchian Shi and will collaborate on a day-to-day basis with the Partner responsible for Strategy and Business Development, Jan Knikker, the Managing Director Inger Kammeraat and Sarah Finn, the Finance Director. You will lead the team based in Shanghai that consists of around 10 people.
Your very diverse tasks will focus on three particular subjects; Business Development, Projects and Operations. Please find a more detailed description of the activities below;
Strategy and Business Development
Represent MVRDV in Asia in contacts with current and potential clients. Ensure visibility and strong local presence, enlarge and further develop MVRDV’s network of clients in the region. Targets and activities;
- Setting up and maintaining a strong network with local partners (co-architects, engineers, advisors, municipalities);
- Analyses of the local market, assist in marketing strategy making;
- Acquire direct commissions in close collaboration with HQ;
- Input in negotiation process for contracts and fees;
- Supervise on Chinese website and MVRDV news on social media;
- Giving lectures in various occasions
For many of our Asia based projects, you will be the first line of contact between MVRDV and the client;
- Ensure an up-to-date knowledge of all Asia project teams, play a central role in these projects;
- Attend kick-off meetings, presentations and workshops;
- Manage client and design process, keep track of planning, budget and invoice;
- Coordination between the Rotterdam design team and the local co-architects/advisors;
- Site visits during construction and aesthetic supervision, contact with contractor and material supplier;
- Supervision on production of presentations in the region (models, renderings, printing, etc).
- Daily contact with the Rotterdam design team on design progress and design decisions;
- Advice the works done by the Rotterdam design team on local regulation, completeness and presentation quality
Responsible for general managerial matters of MVRDV Shanghai office, including but not limited to Finance, Human Resources and Administration;
- Assist in creating the business plan for Shanghai office and revising it annually, including targets and strategy
- Monitor finance situation of Shanghai office in close collaboration with a local accountant and the Rotterdam based Finance Department
- Recruitment and human resource management
The right candidate for the position will have a proven experience in the Asian market, in managing projects, clients and teams. This person is a good communicator, is fluent in English and has experience in Business Development, marketing and strong project management skills. We prefer candidates who have an extensive knowledge of the MVRDV body of work and philosophy and approach to Architecture and Urbanism.
MVRDV is a globally operating firm with a team of more than 230 employees, dedicated to innovative architecture and urban design. It was founded in 1993, has its headquarters in Rotterdam and has subsidiaries in Shanghai and Paris.
MVRDV is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to treat all employees and applicants equally, regardless of gender or marital status, race or colour, nationality or ethnic origin, religion or religious belief, sexual orientation, disability or age.
We offer a full time position in a dynamic international environment. We aim to fill the position in October 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
Please fill out the online form and upload your motivation letter, CV and portfolio preferably as PDF. If you do not fill out the application form we cannot consider your application.